makes 2 servings
- 1/2 lb (250 g) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced.
- 1/4 green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 lb (250 g) crushed tomatoes (use standard canned tomatoes)
- 1/4 lb (125 g) whole tomatoes, cut up
- 4 tbsp (57 g) tomato paste
- 12 oz (340 g) light red kidney beans, not drained (1 standard-size can)
- 1/4 Tbsp (7.5 g) brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 g) white sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30 g) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 g) MSG
- 1 tsp (5 g) crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp (3 g) ground black pepper
- 1 large pinch (1 g) salt
- 1 Tbsp (18 ml) bacon grease (optional)
- water or beer, as needed
- garlic powder, as needed
- In a microwave-proof container, brown meat, onions, green pepper, and garlic for 5 minutes on full power. Drain off and reserve a 1/4 cup of liquid. Break up any remaining large chunks of meat.
- Add remaining ingredients except tomato paste and cook on full power for 15 minutes covered. Stir and taste.
- Cook for 40 minutes at 70% power, uncovered. Stir and taste at 20 minutes intervals. Add water as necessary.
- Add tomato paste and reserved meat liquid. Cook 15 minutes at 60% power, uncovered.
Note: The chili will thicken up in the microwave so be sure to add enough water or beer to keep it soupy until the last phase.