makes 6-8 servings
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups grits
- 1/2 pound asiago (or fontina) cheese, grated
- In a large pot, over medium heat, combine the water, milk, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the butter. Bring the liquid to a gentle boil.
- Stir in the grits
- Cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring often. (note: do not scrape the bottom of the pan)
- Remove the pan from the heat
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and cheese
Grits are best served immediately, but may be reheated in the oven or microwave.